Tuesday, 1 May 2007

Real Time Mind Mapping

I’ve been on a training course recently and used it as an opportunity to practise my real time mapping skills. This was made very easy as the trainer organised the material well, maintained a comfortable pace and also provided excellent diagrammatic summaries which he flip charted as he talked.

I found I was able to produce neat maps, incorporating colour and images. At several points, rather than make my own maps, I copied the flip charts as drawn by the trainer – they were so visual and easy to copy. On the second day, he began presenting some of the material using mind maps. I copied a few of these also before I started to realise my attention was wandering. It struck me that I was paying more attention to copying the diagrams and maps than to the information being presented and discussed.

They key to making sense of information and remembering it subsequently is the effort that is applied in assimilating it, I think. I discovered then when I made my own map, rather than copy that provided, I was more attentive, understood the material better and was able to recall more of it subsequently.

For me, the lesson learned is to make my own notes, in my own words and using my own maps.